If you are frustrated because your job search is taking longer than expected, you need to make changes in the way you are conducting your search. If you keep doing things the same way, unfortunately you will get the same results!
Here are a few simple changes that can put momentum behind your efforts that will lead to job offers.
- Read the top 1/3 of the first page of your resume or CV. Is that section “keyword” rich to automated systems will screen you in vs. out? If not, add a Career Summary after your contact information that is keyword rich.
- Spend less than 10% of your time answering Job Board ads. This is where you have the greatest competition and the lowest return on your investment of time and effort.
- Send three resumes DAILY by MAIL to companies you’d like to work for. Address the envelope to the person who would be your bosses’ boss and write “personal and confidential” in the lower left-hand corner to assure they open your correspondence. This form of direct marketing is very effective in today’s competitive job market. Follow up with a telephone call.
- Add to your professional and personal network DAILY and offer information that will help them. If you provide them with leads or information, they are more likely to help you open a door that could lead to your next opportunity.
- Update your LinkedIn Profile to match your resume.
- Become active on career related groups on line in the profession or industry you are targeting to position yourself as an expert.
- Consider working contract or temp to get your foot in the door.
Implement these seven changes you will experience better results!